Mango Connects is an online tool specifically for helping young or new professionals create and cultivate more meaningful professional relationships. This tool contains resources such as message drafting, interview preparation and it guides users through informal meetings with new professional connections. The focus was on the usability of the site’s tools, including analyzing how users think the site should operate.
Strategies Used: Heuristic Analysis, Usability Testing, Wireframing, Prototyping
To understand the general site capabilities and site design I began by conducting a heuristic analysis via Jakob Nielsen's Usability Heuristics Methods for User Interface Design. This evaluation helped the team focus on standard issues and locate pain-points that would probably come up during testing.
The team conducted usability testing of the website to understand users’ first impressions of the tool and the overall value they found in such a product.
- “Concept behind the site is great. Instead of needing to google, how to write an email to a potential mentor, there’s a full step by step tool!” - Test User
- “It’s odd I had to add people because it’s not integrated with LinkedIn”- Test User
Analysis of Testing Feedback
The main usability issues were due to the hierarchy of information and then the misunderstanding of the site's capabilities. The site was marketed as being directly connected to LinkedIn, which it was not, so the functions of the site were largely misunderstood.
Wireframe and Prototype
To conclude, I created prototypes to outline small changes that could improve how users navigate the site. These prototypes focused on issues with the overall site map and major labeling issue. Some changes are described below:
- The homepage features a larger and more central tool to “Add Connections” or Search current connections
- The second page is the My People page with an additional button to “Add Connections” on the same page as you can view the connections you already have
- Along with focusing on page layout, we focused on the specific features related to “Adding Connections” to your network, it was most important for the value of the site